Family Picture

Family Picture

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Babypalooza Events

After Leah's death, I had so many questions about GBS. I felt like I didn't know how dangerous it could be or signs of infection to look for. I've learned there isn't anything I could have done, and my doctor followed the correct protocol, this was just the biggest fluke in the world. God had to have ordained this, as hard as that is for me, it's true. Even so, I wish I'd known more about GBS and what to look for, expect, etc. I've decided a great way to help with that is to meet expecting parents and tell them to have a serious conversation with their doctor about GBS. I've gone to Dothan and Montgomery and have registered for the Birmingham Babypalooza event. Many moms/parents are extremely grateful because they've never heard of it and are on their nth pregnancy. It's just not something doctors stress, at least not to their patients. I provide brochures and status cards and tell moms to take this infection seriously. The most important thing is to talk with their doctor about what a positive status means. 

Many women want to avoid my booth and I certainly understand, but there are so, so many that thank me for coming and sharing my story. I haven't yet decided if all that is worth it because so many doctors I talk to act like what happened to me is so rare and there's not much else that can be done to prevent it. Right now, I'm still getting out there and you'll see a lot from me in July, which is International GBS Awareness Month. I'm going to post a fact a day about GBS and potentially even have some other things going on. Stay tuned for that! 

In Montgomery, a local hospital co-sponsored the event with BCBS and many of the L&D nurses came by to hear my story and talk with me. They really wanted to know how they could do better with GBS prevention. They asked a ton of questions! I also gave a lot of brochures to a doctor there to put in his prenatal packets and some to the childbirth educators for their packets. It was a great experience and it does encourage me that I'm doing a good thing by getting out there. 

Dothan Babypalooza event
Montgomery Babypalooza event
I'm excited about Birmingham! It's supposed to be the biggest one!

Thanks again to everyone who donated money for these events! We raised more than enough money and I'll either use that to print a lot more brochures to get out to doctor's offices or save it for a booth next year.

If anyone is still interested in donating to our efforts, please visit this link and donate to Adam's fundraiser for Leah's Legacy fund. We are going to do big stuff through that! More on that later too!

No comments:

Post a Comment