Family Picture

Family Picture

Monday, April 30, 2012

Month 1: Food Recap

I kept up with the food month "restrictions" right up until we left for London. Adam even grilled chicken wings for lunch that day instead of stopping for something on the way to the airport. I didn't do so well once we got home. I didn't have anything to eat for breakfast or lunch on Thursday and ended up going out to eat with a friend for lunch. Then, Mom and Dad came up Friday night to hear about our trip, and we went out to eat. Anyway, I'm officially done with the food month. I know I said I was going to make-up the food week from my London trip, but honestly, we still have so much food still in our freezer and pantry that it's going to take a while to eat through all of that anyway. I also love the way I feel eating fresh vegetables from a local farmer's market, so that has become a lifestyle change. (Not to mention that I've lost ~5 lbs just from that!)

7 Final thoughts from the month:

1) I gave myself too much leeway. For anyone doing this experiment in the future, I don't recommend allowing yourself to "Eat anything provided". It gave me an easy way to eat pretty much whatever I wanted.

2) I did learn a lot through the pantry/freezer and farmer's market categories though, many things I've mentioned through the food update posts.

3) We actually stayed within our food budget for the month!

4) Given how much better I've felt (and the weight I've lost) I'm beginning to take a much closer look at the foods I put in my body and the many ingredients I can't pronounce, so I'll be working on those types of things in the near future.

5) I want to stop (significantly decrease) convenient fast food trips. It's one thing to have dinner out with friends/family, but there's no need to stop and get fast food for dinner for ourselves (although I already failed because we did this Sunday after church).

6) Without even focusing on this, I realized how much variety we have in our food. One thing Jen's Council ate was food that the poor from 7 different third world countries would eat on a regular basis. They ended up eating foods like rice, and only rice, for many, many days. We are so blessed to be able to eat just about anything we want whenever we want.

7) I'm looking forward to Jen's Bible study on 7 coming out in December. I'll probably be doing this again, but only for 7 weeks total. I'll limit myself to just eating 7 foods for the food week then. I pray more people join in on that journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment